Sunday, May 24, 2009

Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder is a motorcycle run in the nation's capital to show the country and the world that abandoned American soldiers in Vietnam still mattered to their fellow servicemen and the country for which they sacrificed their freedom. It was created in 1987 and has been going ever since. Now over 350,00 bikes ride each year. It occurs every Memorial Day and though I had heard about it since moving to this area this was the first year I was able to attend. My friend Sona along with her friend Juliette are regular attendees of Rolling Thunder and showed me the ropes. Some of my blog readers might know about my curiosity and interest in motorcycles, though I am not into riding them I love looking at them and learning about them, so this was a great experience for me!

Juliette (with Petunia - available for adoption and adorable), Sona and Bodhi (not up for adoption,but very adorable)

There were 4 parking lots full of bikes lined up in rows ready to go. We watched from the start of the ride at the Pentagon.


I was expecting it to be obnoxiously loud, even came prepared with ear plugs, but it was actually not too loud and somewhat peaceful hearing the hum of the motors except for a big rev every now and then.


Here are some of the "different" bikes we saw



Check out the leather fringe around the bottom!
Thanks to all who have protected our country and here's to peace in a world without war!

1 comment:

Sona said...

you are too freakin' cool! the pics are great!!!